Grimsay has historically had a close connection with Heisgeir (the Monach Isles), as a base for lobster fishing and through social connections with the island community. In 2003, the GCA initiated the rescue of the Schoolhouse on Ceann Ear; work parties of local volunteers and tradesmen made the building wind- and water-tight and preserved its historic features. It is now owned by the Trust for Heisgeir. 20th century history of the communities on Ceann Ear has been documented in a permanent exhibition on the island.

To find out more or become a Friend of the Schoolhouse, click here.

View of Ceann Ear, Heisgeir
Heisgeir map
Ordnance Survey Map of 1876 overlay: Brathay Expedition Survey of 1969