NOW FULLY OPEN!
Welcome! We look forward to welcoming you on your visit to the Grimsay Boat Museum
We have put in place a number of measures to ensure you have a COVID-safe visit to our museum, including cleaning of frequently-touched surfaces, and hand sanitiser stations / hand washing facilities provided to help keep everyone safe.
VIRTUAL LAUNCH – APRIL 2020
To view the virtual launch of the new Grimsay Boat Museum, please play the video below (remember to turn on your sound and expand it to fullscreen).
The Grimsay Boat Museum and virtual launch was featured in the Travels by Design blog in the Design Exhibition Scotland Journal.
As the only maritime heritage centre in the Western Isles, Grimsay Boat Museum provides a focus for our island history and identity. From the popular Grimsay Boat Days to the new Boat Museum, Grimsay has been active in preserving the Uists’ boatbuilding and fishing heritage for more than 20 years.
For more information on the boats, click here
The Grimsay Boat Museum is located at Ceann na h-Àirigh on the site of the former Kenary Church and Manse. It:
• features a large shelter to protect and display five of the best remaining examples of the Stewart boats;
• links the boats to our local history archive, which includes photographs, videos, oral histories, technical and cultural information, historical and social context, and Gaelic terminology in boatbuilding and fishing;
• provides an authentic introduction to the practical skills of island life for young and old, Uistich and visitor alike.
The Grimsay Boat Museum is linked to the rest of the centre at Ceann na h-Àirigh, creating an all-weather, year-round attraction including:
• the cafe CIDSIN the grimsay kitchen
• year-round community events
• Nourishing Grimsay, our local food project
• the Grimsay Post Office.
At the GRIMSAY BOAT MUSEUM, WE
• SHARE skills and knowledge
• LEARN from the past
• SUPPORT fishing communities
• REACH OUT to people today
This project is part-financed by the Scottish Government and the European Community Outer Hebrides LEADER 2014-2020 programme.