As the only maritime heritage centre in the Western Isles, the Grimsay Boat Haven will be a focus for our island history and identity. From the Grimsay Boat Day to the new Boat Haven, Grimsay has been active in preserving the Uists’ boatbuilding and fishing heritage for more than 20 years.
The Grimsay Boat Haven will be located at Ceann na h-Àirigh on the site of the former Kenary Church and Manse. It will:
• feature a large shelter to protect and display five of the best remaining examples of the Stewart boats;
For more information on the Grimsay boats, click here.
• link the boats to our local history archive which includes photographs, video, oral histories, technical and cultural information, historical and social context, and Gaelic terminology in boatbuilding and fishing;
• provide an authentic introduction to the practical skills of island life for young and old, Uistich and visitor alike.
The Grimsay Boat Haven will be linked to the rest of the centre at Ceann na h-Àirigh, creating an all-weather, year-round attraction including:
• the new cafe CIDSIN
• the Gathering Hall for community events
• Nourishing Grimsay, our local food project
• the Grimsay Post Office.
At the GRIMSAY BOAT HAVEN,
• SHARE skills and knowledge
• LEARN from the past
• SUPPORT fishing communities
• REACH OUT to people today
• HELP create a unique Boat Haven in the Outer Hebrides
• INTRODUCE young and old to traditional skills
• WIN rewards of books and DVDs about Grimsay & Heisgeir
• STAY IN TOUCH with the islands, the boats and the old ways
Please help create the new GRIMSAY BOAT HAVEN
a unique home for the Grimsay boats and island life.
DONATE and receive rewards:
• £20 a copy of Never Broken in a Sea
• £50 Grimsay DVD Tìr Mo Ruin
• £100 All donations over £100 receive permanent acknowledgement on the Sponsorship plaque
• £150 Set of books/DVDs + acknowledgement as above
Please make donations payable to Grimsay Community Association,
Ceann na h-Àirigh, Grimsay, N.Uist HS6 5JA
ALL donations will go directly to completing the new Boat Haven which will open December, 2019
This project is part-financed by the Scottish Government and the European Community Outer Hebrides LEADER 2014-2020 programme.